Saturday 4 August 2012

Frog Pond Stage 1

To quote Dale Kerrigan from the Australian cult movie classic 'The Castle':

"I dug a hole"

Yes, folks that's what we did today. We dug a hole. A hole for our new pond to hopefully entice the frogs out of the swimming pool and not to their untimely death. We are also hoping this little pond will encourage more beneficial insects to our little patch of dirt. And more birds and bees. Preferably those that like aphids and the Cherry/Pear slug.


We chose a site up in our orchard near some existing rocks. I am hoping to incorporate these rocks as well as the ones we picked up on Freecycle to create a little rockery and pond combo.





The chooky girls love a good digging 'cause they get a bellyful of worms.


Gotta love child labour :)



And this is where we got to this afternoon. Next on the agenda is rock placement, overlaps and design. We hope to have some fish living in here as well so will need to make sure they have some hidey holes to dive into. I already have a few water plants sitting in a bucket ready to go.  I hope this little project works!


2 comments:

  1. Great day's work Bec - gotta love child labour! Only thing I'd if you have fish - they'll eat the tadpoles so you won't get frogs! It's one pond for fish and one for frogs I reckon. More child labour required :D
    Greenie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know Greenie! At the moment the pond just has dead worms which I have to clean out :(

      Delete