Tuesday, 22 September 2015

Bubbles

Well it is coming to the end of day three of the kraut process and I have bubbles!






Apparently bubbles are a sign that fermentation has started and this is supposed to be a good thing.

But now I don't know when it is supposed to be 'ready'. I thought it was supposed to bubble like home brew beer does when it is fermenting - big beer 'burps' coming out the airlock at the top. But there are none coming out my airlock, perhaps I have done something wrong? I looked up this website, and it mentioned bubbles (tick), sour aroma (I think so....maybe...almost???), and taste. I think I might leave it one more day before I taste it. Apparently there is no hard and fast rule, its up to personal taste and temperature according to Sandor Katz.

These vague 'its ready when its ready' comments make it very difficult for a novice to determine if I have done it right. It honestly seems a bit simple and I have missed a step.

However when I read this website, it talks about keeping oxygen out (ie like the one I have with the airlock and not the one with cheesecloth over the top).

What to do, what to do. It feels like the more I get on the web, the more I feel like I am consulting 'Dr Google' and every possible thing that could go wrong! Perhaps it is time to consult an online forum...

No comments:

Post a Comment