Sunday, 16 August 2015

My PKM routine

My PKM for this course is going to require drastic changes to the way I have conducted my knowledge management throughout my Master's course, and keeping abreast of general online interest topics.

All previous courses have been on the USQ course page, and all interaction and knowledge acquisition occurred through this central point. This was of course linked with my email which prompted me if there was discussion, posting or the like.

Likewise on keeping track of my personal interests, as you can see on this blog on the lower left hand side, I had bookmarked those blogs I read frequently and new post headings came up underneath. I was also linked on Facebook and could see regular posts there.

As I am a highly mobile person, and very rarely behind the laptop screen unless doing dedicated study, adapting to using feedly on a daily basis is going to take a bit of work, but I can see the benefits, especially once this course has been completed. As always, 'there's an app for that!', so I downloaded the feedly app so I can check in. It seems completely random at this point but I have seen  a few posts from fellow course members so I must be on the right track!

Lastly, I think I will need to do similar to Sharonngl and join Twitter. Like LinkedIn, I have been putting it off and putting it off but alas I think I can do so no more. You can find me here @murramumma. Hopefully I'll figure out how to link the blog, twitter and Facebook at some point! There are some real benefits to all this networking, however I do worry about the pitfalls such as my 'digital footprint' and having all my information out there.

Getting back to the topic at hand, here is the plan for my PKM for this course;

Seek
  • Check out Feedly daily (via mobile app), and keep adding to this to make it a valuable resource.
  • Blogs and websites (old habits die hard :) )
  • Still check my emails, as most things are linked to this.
  • Scan twitter
  • Scan Facebook (I still have a lot of links through this) As Jarche said, connecting to the right people, organisations, and the like makes this process so much easier.
Sense
  • 'Old school' handwritten notes and mind maps
  • Having the ability to draw information from other areas to make sense of the information in this space, and perhaps to apply other/new ways of thinking about a problem
  • Go back to 'seek' if I hit a road block
Share
  • Blog, Facebook and Twitter
  • Diigo (when I get my head around it) 
  • LinkedIn if it is 'work' related.



2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    it sounds like a reasonable plan. Mine was a little to intense and I think I'll have to leave the time frames a bit looser. I'm not used to checking things daily either but am getting better at it. Being a student isn't as easy as being a learner but still satisfying :)
    I am wondering if the "good old" handwritten notes will ever go out of style. Even the most tech savvy people I know still use their note books. Is that just because we haven't yet learned to touch type?
    Charm

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 'old' stuff never goes out of style - I predict handwritten notes will make a comeback at some point! Perhaps when we have extended blackouts and can't access the net.

    ReplyDelete